Does iron pills gain weight? Iron pills are a nutritional supplement that plays an important role in keeping the human body from the risk of many serious health problems, especially as it produces large amounts of hemoglobin needed to transport oxygen to all parts of the body in general and the lungs in particular, In the context of talking about iron pills, the reference site is interested in shedding light on whether iron pills increase weight, while clarifying the damages resulting from excessive intake.
Do iron pills make you gain weight?
The answer is no , but if it is taken in small quantities and with a healthy diet, as many scientific studies have proven that iron pills are nutritional supplements that lead to weight gain without following a healthy diet, and this is evidenced by the following evidence:
The relationship between iron pills and appetite
Iron is one of the simple minerals that the body cannot excrete, and therefore it must be supplied to all parts of the body through pills or even nutrients, and some studies have shown that taking iron pills for a long time leads to a decrease in the hormone leptin, which leads to an excessive increase in appetite The person taking these pills feels constant hunger and then noticeably weight gain in a short period of time.
The relationship between iron pills and hemoglobin
Another study, which lasted for two years in one of the medical blood laboratories, confirmed that taking iron pills increases the percentage of hemoglobin in the blood clearly and significantly, which causes weight gain, and this study also stressed the importance of following a healthy diet while taking iron pills so as not to lead To the accumulation of fat in different parts of the body, and then excessive weight gain.
Benefits of iron pills for the body
Taking iron pills in a correct medical way brings many benefits and advantages to the body, and these benefits are evident in the following:
- It eliminates the constant feeling of fatigue and stress, and therefore it must be obtained through various nutritional foods.
- It regulates the rate of oxygen flow into the blood by increasing the proportion of hemoglobin in different parts of the body.
- It increases the flow of oxygen to the muscles of the body and even the brain, giving the body the energy and vitality it needs.
- It increases muscle strength for all joints and muscles, so taking it for a specific period prevents the risk of osteoporosis.
- It eliminates the problem of tissue inflammation, which is the main cause of anemia and many other health problems.
Side Effects of Excessive Iron Pills
Despite the great importance of these pills, they may cause many complications, including the following:
- Noticeable swelling in different and certain parts of the body, especially the abdomen.
- Disruption of the digestive system, causing constipation at times and diarrhea at other times.
- Severe stomach upset with increased pain.
- Increased urge to vomit and nausea.
People who need iron pills
Some suffer from the problem of iron deficiency, and all of them need to take these pills, but as directed by the doctor, and these cases become clear as follows:
- Anemic patients: These patients, especially during menstruation, need these nutritional supplements to replace the body with the elements it needs.
- Children: Many doctors advise that children, especially in the first six months, be given a small dose of iron pills to increase their growth and strengthen their muscles.
- Pregnant women: A pregnant woman needs many nutrients and minerals, in order to supply her fetus with all the vitamins it needs and necessary for its growth in the womb.
- Sports practitioners: All exercisers of all kinds need iron pills, in order to strengthen their muscles and provide them with the energy needed for this.
Forbidden cases of iron pills
Iron pills may cause many complications, especially for some patients, which requires taking them carefully and after consulting a doctor, and among these cases are the following:
- Diabetics: Eating these pills while suffering from diabetes may lead to many heart diseases, especially for women who suffer from type 2 diabetes.
- Inflammatory bowel patients: These pills increase the sensitivity of the digestive system, thus irritating this area and causing many complications and pains that are difficult to bear.
- Stomach ulcer patients: Iron pills may lead to digestive upset and stomach ulcers, and therefore they must be taken with great care, especially by these patients.
Signs of iron deficiency in the body
Iron deficiency in the body appears in the form of a group of symptoms or signs, which may affect its owner negatively, and these signs are evident as follows:
- Frequent sore tongue and throat.
- Significantly rapid heart rate.
- Severe tightness and inability to breathe normally.
- Constant feeling of tiredness.
- persistent dizziness;
- Loss of appetite and unwillingness to eat.
- Laziness and lethargy with a constant desire to sleep.
- Tingling of the extremities of the body from the toes and hands, with a constant feeling of coldness in them.
- Constant feeling of headache.
- The vertigo of the brain that some cannot bear.
- A noticeable change in the color of the skin with a change to a pale yellow color.
Tips to keep in mind when taking iron pills
Iron pills are nutritional supplements that must be taken carefully and with a set of tips, and all of these tips are clear as follows:
- Refer to the attending physician to determine the exact dose of iron pills, which is determined based on the patient's age and health condition.
- Iron pills must be taken before eating breakfast, i.e. on an empty stomach, especially since taking them after a meal reduces the body's secretion of the appropriate amount of iron.
- Avoid taking supplements or juices that are high in vitamin C, especially as it reduces the absorption of iron in the body.
- Refer to the doctor about the medical treatments that are taken with iron pills so that these pills do not conflict with each other and cause serious complications.
In the event that you are unable to take iron pills as a result of any chronic diseases, you can eat foods rich in this mineral, the most important of which are the following:
- Oysters: Oysters help increase the flow of oxygen to all parts of the body, especially the brain and muscles, as a result of their high content of useful iron.
- Spinach: This type of vegetable is one of the well-known sources of iron in many countries of the world, especially as it is rich in many antioxidants.
- Liver: Liver contains many beneficial nutrients, along with vitamins, which make it one of the best nutritional foods that can be eaten to get rid of iron deficiency symptoms at all.
My experience with iron pills to gain weight
Many people, both men and women, have resorted to iron pills to gain weight, and the opinions of all these people appeared as follows:
- A woman who was suffering from chronic fatigue and headaches as a result of iron deficiency in the body confirmed that she got rid of all these symptoms after taking iron pills, which do not affect her weight in any way or form.
- Another young man, who was advised by his doctor, mentioned the need to take iron pills to treat his anemia. Indeed, with taking these pills, he got rid of this problem, but gained a small amount of weight as a result of eating large amounts of fat.